PhD, Near Eastern Studies, University of California, Los Angeles (1968)
MA with distinction, Arabic Language and Literatures, Cairo University (1964)
MA, Arabic, Bombay University (1959)
BA, Arabic, Bombay University (1957)
- Turks in the Indian Subcontinent, Central and West Asia: TheTurkish Presence in the Islamic World, edited by Ismail K. Poonawala. New Delhi: Oxford University Press of India, 2016 (to be released at the end of his year).
- The Pillars of Islam (Daʿāʾim al-Islām): vol. II: Laws Pertaining to Human Intercourse, by al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān. Translated by A. A. A. Fyzee. Completey revised and annotated by Ismail Kurbanhusein Poonawala. New Delhi: Oxford University Press of India, 2004.
- The Pillars of Islam (Daʿāʾim al-Islām): vol. I: Acts of Devotion and Religious Observances, by al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān. Translated by A. A. A. Fyzee. Completey revised and annotated by Ismail Kurbanhusein Poonawala. New Delhi: Oxford University Press of India, 2002.
- Kitāb al-Iftikhār by Abū Yaʿqūb al-Sijistānī. Critical edition with notes and English introduction. Beirut: Dār al-Gharb al-Islāmī, 2000.
- Al-Sulṭan al-Khaṭṭāb : Ḥayātuhu wa-shiʿruhu [Al-Sulṭān al-Khaṭṭāb: His Life and Poetry]. Second revised and expanded edition with English introduction. Beirut: Dār al-Gharb al-Islāmī, 1999.
- The History of al-Ṭabarī, vol. IX: The Last Years of the Prophet, the Formation of the State. Translation with annotations. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1990.
- Biobibliography of Ismāʿīlī Literature. Malibu, Calif.: UCLA, von Grunebaum Center for Near Eastern Studies/Undena Publications, 1977.
- Al-Urjūza al-Mukhtāra by al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān: Critical edition with notes and introduction. Montreal/Beirut: Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University/al-Maktab al-Tijārī, 1970.
- Al-Sulṭan al-Khaṭṭāb : Ḥayātuhu wa-shiʿruhu. Cairo: Dār al-Maʿārif, 1967.
Selected Articles in Refereed Journals and Chapters in Books
- “Notes on Kitāb al-Zīna of Abū Ḥātim al-Rāzī (d. 322/934),” Chroniques du Manuscrit au Yémen (in press to be published in May 2016).
- Critical edition with English translation of the 41st epistle Fiʾl-ḥudūd waʾl-rusūm (On Definitions and Descriptions), from the Rasāʾil Ikhwān al-Ṣafāʾ, Oxford University Press, (in press, to be published at the end of 2016).
- “Anonymous Works and Their Ascription to Famous Authors: Are They Cases of Mistaken identity or an Outright Forgery?” in Arabica, vol. 62 (2015), pp. 404-10.
- “Wealth and Poverty in the Qur’an and Traditions of the Prophet, and How Those Concepts are Reflected in the Rasa’il Ikhwan al-Safa’,” Journal of Shi‘a Islamic Studies, vol. 8 (2015), pp. 263-87.
- Critical edition of the 34th Epistle Inna al-ʿālama insānun kabīrun (On the Universe as a Macroanthropos) with introduction and (English tr. by David Simonowitz) from the Rasāʾil Ikhwān al-Ṣafāʾ, Oxford University Press, 2015.
- “Ismāʿīlī Manuscripts from Yemen,” Journal of Islamic Manuscripts, vol. 5 (2014), pp. 220-45.
- “A forgotten copy of Abū Muḥammad al-Yamanī’s Mukhtaṣar fī ‘aqā’id al-thalāth wa-sab‘īn firqa ascribed to the Imam al-Ghazālī: A case of mistaken identity or of an outright forgery?” Chroniques du Manuscrit au Yémen, vol. 19 (2014), pp. 1-16.
- “Humanism in Ismāʿīlī Thought: The Case of the Rasāʾil Ikhwān al-Ṣafāʾ (The Epistles of the Sincere Brethren and Faithful Friends)” in Universality in Islamic Thought, ed. M. Morony, London, I. B. Tauris, 2014, pp. 65-144.
- “Bird’s Eye-view of Dawudi Bohra’s History and Their Doctrines,” a court brief prepared for the Bombay High Court hearing of June 16, 2014, concerning the succession dispute among the Bohra community, pp. 1-16.
- “A Manifesto on behalf of the Bohra Community Signed by two Internationally Recognized Bohra Scholars,” coauthored with Prof. Abbas Hamdani; it was first released to the press in Bombay, on Jan. 28, 2014, concerning the dispute of succession in the Shii Ismaili community; then published with Gujarati translation in The Bohra Chronicle, issue of March 2014, pp. 1, 4, 9-10.
- “The Evolution of al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān’s Theory of Ismāʿīlī Jurisprudence Based on the Chronology of his Works on Jurisprudence,” in The Study of Shiʿi Islam, ed. F. Daftary & G. Miskinzoda. London: I.B.Tauris, 2013, pp. 295-349.
- “Al-Sijistānī and His Kitāb al-Maqālīd al-Malakūtiyya,” in Ishraq (Islamic Philosophy Yearbook), vol. 4 (2013), pp. 161-84.
- “A Tribute to Three Bohra Scholars of the 20th Century,” in The Bohra Chronicle, Bombay, issue of May, 2012, p. 13.
- “An Early Doctrinal Controversy in the Iranian School of Ismāʿīlī Thought and Its Implications,” Journal of the Persianate Studies, vol. 5 (2012), pp. 17-34.
- “Al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān and His Refutation of Ibn Qutayba,” in Fortresses of the Intellect: Ismaili and other Islamic Studies in Honour of F. Daftary, ed. Omar Ali-de-Unzaga, London: I. B. Tauris, 2011, pp. 275-307.
- “Ismaʿili Shiʿa,” in Oxford Bibliography Online (OBO: Islamic Studies), entry ID:9780 1953 9015 50121, Version Date: 2011-01-10.
- “Sources for al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān’s Works and Their Authenticity,” in Ismaili and Fatimid Studies in Honor of Paul Walker, ed. B. Craig, Chicago: Middle East Documentation Center, 2010, pp. 87-99.
- “Preface,” to Jamal Ali’s Language and Heresy in Ismaili Thought: The Kitab al-Zina of Abu Hatim al-Razi, Gorgias Press, 2008. Pp. ix-xiv.
- Brief note endorsing Hussam Timani’s Modern Intellectual Readings of the Kharijites, New York: Peter Lang, 2008.
- “Islamic Messianism: Some thoughts on the origins of Mahdism and its sociopolitical function,” in Proceedings of an International Conference on the Doctrine of Mahdism, Tehran, Aug. 14-15, 2008.
- “Why We Need an Arabic Critical Edition with an Annotated English Translation of the Rasāʾil Ikhwān al-Ṣafāʾ?” in The Ikhwān al-Ṣafāʾ and their Rasāʾil, ed. N. El-Bizri, London: Oxford University Press in association with the Institute of Ismailin Studies, 2008, pp. 34-58.
- “The Beginning of the Ismāʿīlī Daʿwa and the Establishment of the Fāṭimid Dynasty as Commemorated by al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān,” in Culture and Memory in Medieval Islam: Essays in Honour of W. Madelung, eds. F. Daftary & J. Meri, London: I. B. Tauris, 2003, pp. 338-63.
- “Imām’s authority during the pre-ghayba period: Theoretical and practical considerations,” in Shiʿite Heritage: Essays on Classical and Modern Traditions, ed. L. Clarke, Bingham: Global Publications, 2000, pp. 11-32.
- “Ḥamīd al-Dīn al-Kirmānī and the Proto-Druze,” Journal of Druze Studies, vol. 1 (2000), pp. 71-94.
- “Al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān and Ismaʿili jurisprudence,” in Medieval Ismaʿili History and Thought, ed. F. Daftary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996, pp. 117-43.
- “Al-Sulṭān al-Khaṭṭāb’s treatise on the iʿjāz al-Qurʾān,” [critical edition of the Arabic text with notes and comments], Arabica, vol. 41 (1994), pp. 84-126.
- “Muḥammad ʿIzzat Darwaza’s principles of modern exegesis: A contribution toward Qurʾānic hermeneutics,” in Approached to the Qurʾān, eds. G. Hawting and Shereef. London: Routledge, 1993, pp. 225-46.
- “Translatability of the Qurʾān: Theological and Literary Considerations,” in Translations of Scripture: Proceedings of a Conference at Annenberg Research Institute, May 15-16, 1989, in Jewish Quarterly Review Supplement, 1990, pp. 160-92.
- “A Muslim Response to Chaim Seidler-Feller: The Land of Israel,” in Three Faiths – One God: A Jewish, Christian, Muslim Encounter, eds. John Hick & E. Meltzer, New York, 1989, pp. 172-80.
- “An Ismāʿīlī Treatise on the Iʿjāz al-Qurʾān,” The Journal of the American Oriental Society, vol. 108 (1988), pp. 379-85.
- “Ismāʿīlī taʿwīl of the Qurʾān,” in Approaches to the History of the Interpretation of the Qurʾān, ed. A. Rippin, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988, pp. 199-222; also serialized in The Bohra Chronicle, Bombay, Nov.-Dec. 1985.
- “The Bohra Reform Movement,” in Proceedings of the 31st International Congress of Human Sciences in Asia and North Africa, held in Tokyo-Kyoto, Aug. 31-Sept. 7, 1983. ??? Tokyo, 1984, p. 298.
- “In Memorium, Asaf Ali Asghar Fyzee 1899-1981,” The International Journal for Middle Eastern Studies, vol. 14 (1982), p. 418.
- “The Ismāʿīlīs,” serialized in The Bohra Chronicle, Bombay, Nov. 1982-Jan. 1983, ???
- “The Qurʾān in the Rasāʾil Ikhwān al-Ṣafāʾ,” in International Congress for the Study of the Qurʾān, Canberra, Australia, 1980, pp. 51-67; also serialized in The Bohra Chronicle, Bombay, Sept.-Oct., 1983 and entitled “The Prophet, Prophethood, and the Qurʾān in the Rasāʾil Ikhwān al-Ṣafāʾ.
- “Ismāʿīlī sources for the history of South-West Arabia,” in Studies in the History of Arabia, vol. I, Sources for the History of Arabia, ed. Abd al-Rahman al-Ansary, et al, Riyadh: Riyadh University Press, 1979, pp. 151-59.
- “An Ismāʿīlī refutation of al-Ghazālī,” in Proceedings of the 30th International Congress of Human Sciences in Asia and North Africa, held in Mexico City, Mexico, 1976. Mexico, 1982, Middle East, vol. I, pp. 131-34.
- “Al-Sijistānī and his Kitāb al-Maqālīd,” in Essays on Islamic Civilization Presented to Niyazi Berkes, ed. D. P. Little, Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1976, pp. 274-83.
- “A reconsideration of al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān’s madhhab,” The Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, London University, vol. 37 (1974), pp. 572-79.
- “Al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān’s works and the sources,” The Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, London University, vol. 36 (1973), pp. 109-15.
- “The evolution of al-Jabartī’s historical thinking as reflected in the Muzhir and the ʿĀjāʾib,” Arabica, vol. 15 (1968), pp. 270-88.
- “Al-Waḥda bayn Miṣr waʾl-Yaman fiʾl-ʿahd al-Fāṭimī [The union between Egypt and Yemen during the Fāṭimid rule], Ṣawt al-Sharq, Cairo, 28-29 Sept. 1964.