The department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures offers proficiency exams for Arabic, Armenian (Eastern and Western), Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish at the beginning of each quarter. No exams are offered during the summer.
No exceptions or makeup exams are offered. If students fail to take the exam on the scheduled date, they will need to wait until the next term it is offered.
Students use the exam to document proficiency with a foreign language for university or program requirement. Please check with your institution to make sure our departmental exam is accepted.
Registration is required for all students taking the exam.
If you are not a registered UCLA student, the exam costs $50. Payment MUST BE MADE prior to taking the exam. Students must bring check to NELC SAO, Isamara Ramirez, in Humanities 378A the day of the exam. Cash will never be accepted via mail or in person. Please make checks out to “UC Regents”.
- Level 1= 1 quarter (elementary)
- Level 2= 2 quarters (elementary)
- Level 3= 3 quarters (elementary — completes 1 year of language)
- Level 4= 4 quarters (intermediate)
- Level 5= 5 quarters (intermediate)
- Level 6= 6 quarters (intermediate — completes 2 years of language)
For general questions about exams, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. See below for more information about exam dates.
- Fall 2016: Friday, September 23rd at 12:30P in Humanities 305.
- Winter 2017: Friday, January 20th at 12:30P in Humanities 367.
- Spring 2017: Wednesday, April 5th at 10:30A in Humanities 365.
For more information regarding the Eastern Armenian Exam, please contact Dr. Anahid Keshishian.
Register For Armenian (Eastern) Exam
- Fall 2017: Thursday, October 5th from 1:45P-3:45P in Humanities 365.
- Winter 2018: Thursday, January 18th from 1:45P-3:45P in Humanities 365.
- Spring 2018: Thursday, April 18th from 1:45P-3:45P in Humanities 365.
For more information please contact Dr. Hagop Kouloujian.
Register For Armenian (Western) Exam
The Arabic placement exam is based on the book “Al-kitaab Fii Taa’llum Alarabiyya”. It includes listening, vocabulary, grammar, reading comprehension, and composition. It is an online exam, however, it takes place on campus. Bring a photo ID to the exam.
- Fall 2016: Monday, September 19th from 12:00P-2:00P in Rolfe Hall 2118.
- Winter 2017: Friday, January 6th from 12:00P-3:00P in Rolfe Hall 2118.
- Spring 2017: Monday, April 3rd from 11:00A-1:00P in Rolfe Hall 2118.
For more information please contact Dr. Abeer Hamza.
Register For Arabic Exam
The exam is written only and based on the textbook Ha-Yesod (found usually at UCLA Bookstore, textbook for Hebrew). It includes the following:
1. A passage in Hebrew for partial translation to English
2. Comprehension questions in Hebrew on the passage mentioned above
3. Two sections with multiple choice answers on grammar and vocabulary
4. Fill in the blank questions with the correct form and tense of verbs + translating and vocalizing them
5. Fill in the blank questions with the correct preposition (+ in the correct form)
6. Rewriting nouns with suffixes using the Hebrew possessive “of”
7. Fill in the blank questions with the correct numbers using Hebrew words
8. Translation to Hebrew of short sentences
9. A short composition
- Fall 2016: Wednesday, September 28th from 1:15P-2:45P in Humanities 348.
- Winter 2017: Wednesday, January 11th from 1:15P-2:45P in Humanities 365.
- Spring 2017: Wednesday, April 5th from 1:15P-2:45P in Humanities (Room TBD)
For more information please contact Dr. Nancy Ezer.
Register For Hebrew Exam
This is a comprehensive exam (2hours), which includes listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar. It is equivalent to three quarters or two semester of Persian at the elementary level.
- Fall 2017: Tuesday, October 10th from 1:00P-3:00P in Humanities 365.
- Winter 2018:
- Spring 2018:
For more information please contact Dr. Latifeh Hagigi.
Register For Persian Exam
The exam consists of four sections: Speaking, listening, reading comprehension, and writing an essay in Turkish on a given topic.
- Fall 2016: Wednesday, September 28th from 12:30P-2:00P in Humanities 367.
- Winter 2017:Wednesday, January 11th from 1:00P-3:00P in Humanities 367.
- Spring 2017: Wednesday, April 12th from 2:00P-4:00P in Humanities 365.
For more information please contact Dr. Beyza Lorenz.
Register For Turkish Exam