PhD, Archaeology, Leiden University (2008)
MD, Leiden University (1990)
- H. Barnard and K. Duistermaat (2012), The History of the Peoples of the Eastern Desert. Los Angeles (Cotsen Institute of Archaeology), ISBN 978-1-9317-45970.
- H. Barnard, A.N. Dooley, G. Areshian, B. Gasparyan and K.F. Faull (2011), “Chemical evidence for wine production around 4000 BCE in the Late Chalcolithic Near Eastern highlands,” Journal of Archaeological Science 38: pp. 977-984.
- H. Barnard (2008), Eastern Desert Ware: Traces of the Inhabitants of the Eastern Deserts in Egypt and Sudan During the 4th-6th Centuries CE, British Archaeological Reports International Series 1824. Oxford (Archaeopress), ISBN 978-1-4073-0310-9.
- H. Barnard and W.Z. Wendrich (2008), Archaeology of Mobility: Old World and New World Nomadism. Los Angeles (Cotsen Institute of Archaeology), ISBN 1-9317-45501.
- H. Barnard, S.A. Ambrose, D.E. Beehr, M.F. Forster, R.E. Lanehart, M.E. Malainey, R.E. Parr, M. Rider, C. Solazzo and R.M. Yohe (2007), “Mixed results of seven methods for organic residue analysis applied to one vessel with the residue of a known foodstuff,” Journal of Archaeological Science 34: pp. 28-37.
- H. Barnard and J.W. Eerkens (2007), Theory and Practice of Archaeological Residue Analysis, British Archaeological Reports International Series 1650. Oxford (Archaeopress), ISBN 978-1-4073-0084-9.
- H. Barnard (2006), “Eastern Desert Ware from Marsa Nakari and Wadi Sikait,” Journal of the American Research Center in Egypt 42: pp. 131-146.
- H. Barnard and A.A. Magid (2006), “Eastern Desert Ware from Tabot (Sudan): More links to the North,” Archéologie du Nil Moyen 10: pp. 15-34.
- A. Wilkins, H. Barnard and P.J. Rose (2006), “Roman artillery balls from Qasr Ibrim,” Egypt, Sudan & Nubia 10: pp. 64-78.
- H. Barnard, A.N. Dooley and K.F. Faull (2005), “New data on the Eastern Desert Ware from Sayala (Lower Nubia) in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna,” Ägypten und Levante 15: pp. 49-64.
- S.E. Sidebotham, H. Barnard and G. Pyke (2002), “Five enigmatic late Roman settlements in the Eastern Desert,” Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 88: pp. 187-225.
- S.E. Sidebotham, H. Barnard, J.A. Harrell and R.S. Tomber (2001), “The Roman quarry and installations in Wadi Umm Wikala and Wadi Semna,” Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 87: pp. 135-70.
- W.Z. Wendrich, H. Barnard and R.M. Bridgman (1999), Report of the Baynun Mapping Project, Yemen 1998. Leiden (CNWS) and Cairo (NVIC), ISBN 90-5789-34-8.
- H. Barnard, E.J. Dreef and J.H.J.M. van Krieken (1990), “The ruptured spleen: A histological, morphometrical and immunohistochemical study,” Histology and Histopathology 5: pp. 299-304.