PhD, Hebrew Bible and Northwest Semitics, UCLA (2007)
MA, Hebrew Bible and Northwest Semitics, UCLA (2003)
- Israelite Religions
- Northwest Semitic Inscriptions
- Biblical Literature
Articles, Essays and Book Chapters
- “The Writing on the Wall: The Ekron Dedication as Monumental Text,” Journal of Near Eastern Studies (forthcoming)
- Ritual Space, Ritual Text: Reconstructing the Religions of Ancient Israel and Judah (Routledge Press, forthcoming).
- From Temple to Text: Text as Ritual Space and the Composition of Numbers 6:24–26,” Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (forthcoming).
- Reconsidering the Function of Tomb Inscriptions in Ancient Judah: Khirbet Beit Lei as a Test Case,” Journal of Ancient Near Eastern Religions 16 (2016): 192-245. (co-authored with Alice Mandell)
- New Light on the Priestly Blessing from Ancient Judah,” The Ancient Near East Today (August 2016: Vol. IV, No. 8).
- “Kinship Terms,” in Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (vol. 4; Ledien: Brill, 2013): 470–477. (co-authored with Gary Rendsburg)
- “May Yahweh Bless You and Keep You from Evil: The Rhetorical Argument of Ketef Hinnom Amulet I and the Form of the Prayers for Deliverance in the Psalms,” Journal of Ancient Near Eastern Religions 12 (2012): 202-236.
- “Prayers of Petition” in the Psalms and West Semitic Inscribed Amulets: Efficacious Words in Metal and Prayers for Protection in Biblical Literature,” Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 36/1 (2011): 75-92.
- “Amuletic Inscriptions and the Background of YHWH as Guardian and Protector in Psalm 12,” Vetus Testamentum 60/3 (2010): 1–12. [web]
- “Assyrian Siege Warfare and the Background of a Biblical Curse,” Writing and Reading Warfare: Rhetoric, Gender, and Ethics and Ancient and Modern Contexts (Society of Biblical Literature Symposium Series, 2009).
- “Building Houses and Planting Vineyards: The Inner-biblical Discourse on an Ancient Israelite Wartime Curse,” Journal of Biblical Literature 127/1 (2008): 19–35.
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Teaching Award, UCLA (2016)
- Center for Jewish Studies Travel Research Grant, Tel Dan Israel (2016)
- CCLE IDP Grant, UCLA (Visualizing Ancient Jerusalem) (2015)
- A Digital Atlas of Jerusalem (Affordable Course Materials Initiative Award, UCLA) (2015)
- CCLE IDP Grant, UCLA (Visible Language: The Origins of Writing) (2014)
- Joseph Aviram Prize, American Schools of Oriental Research (2011)
- Regional Scholars Award, Society of Biblical Literature (2009)
- Jerusalem, the Holy City (Ancient Near East 10W)
- Visible Language: The Study of Writing (Near East M20)
- Readings in Biblical Texts (Hebrew 120)
- Deuteronomistic History (Hebrew 188FL)
- Classical Prophetic Texts (Hebrew 188FL)
- The Religion of Ancient Israel (Ancient Near East M135)
- The Literary Traditions of Ancient Israel: Bible and Apocrypha (Jewish Studies 150A)
- The Religions of the Ancient Near East (Ancient Near East M185)
- First Civilizations (Ancient Near East 50A)
- Co-chair, Hebrew Bible, History, and Archaeology Program Unit, Society of Biblical Literature, Annual Meetings (2009–2015)
- Steering Committee Member, Hebrew Bible, History, and Archaeology Program Unit, Society of Biblical Literature, Annual Meeting (current-2015)
- Steering Committee Member, Methods in the Historiography of Ancient Israel and the Levant, Society of Biblical Literature/American Schools of Oriental Research Joint Program Unit