The Departmental Scholar Program allows exceptional juniors and seniors to pursue the bachelor’s and master’s degrees simultaneously. Nomination as a Departmental Scholar is an honor that carries practical benefits– the graduate application process is simplified and students may be admitted to the program during any academic quarter. Finally, the Departmental Scholar Program offers advanced students access to graduate level classes and an opportunity to do graduate level research under the direct supervision of UCLA’s distinguished faculty.
Students who wish to be a part of the Departmental Scholar Program must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of 24 courses (96 quarter units) at UCLA or the equivalent at a similar institution
- Completion of preparation for the major
- 3.5 overall grade point average
- 3.5 overall grade point average in the major
- 2 letters of recommendation from ladder faculty
- A Statement of Purpose of no more than 1 page
- A copy of the student’s transcript (can be an unofficial copy)
NELC Department SAO, Tiffany Chen, for additional information and program requirements. Please visit the Honors Program website for more information.