The department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures offers proficiency exams for Arabic, Armenian (Eastern and Western), Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish at the beginning of each quarter. No exams are offered during the summer.
No exceptions or makeup exams are offered. If students fail to take the exam on the scheduled date, they will need to wait until the next term it is offered.
Students use the exam to document proficiency with a foreign language for university or program requirement. Please check with your institution to make sure our departmental exam is accepted.
Registration is required for all students taking the exam.
If you are not a registered UCLA student, the exam costs $50. Payment MUST BE MADE prior to taking the exam. Students must bring check to NELC’s Program Coordinator, Emma Watson, in Kaplan Hall 378B the day of the exam. Cash will never be accepted via mail or in person. Please make checks out to “UC Regents”.
- Level 1= 1 quarter (elementary)
- Level 2= 2 quarters (elementary)
- Level 3= 3 quarters (elementary — completes 1 year of language)
- Level 4= 4 quarters (intermediate)
- Level 5= 5 quarters (intermediate)
- Level 6= 6 quarters (intermediate — completes 2 years of language)
For general questions about exams, please contact email@example.com. See below for more information about exam dates.
- Fall 2018: Monday, October 8 from 2:00pm – 4:00pm in Kaplan Hall 399
- Winter 2019: Wednesday, January 16 from 2:00pm – 4:00pm in Kaplan Hall 365
- Spring 2019: NOTE CHANGE OF DATE: Monday, April 15 from 2:00pm – 4:00pm in Kaplan Hall 399
For more information regarding the Eastern Armenian Exam, please contact Dr. Anahid Keshishian.
Register For Armenian (Eastern) Exam
- Fall 2018: Thursday, October 4 from 1:45P-3:45P in Kaplan Hall 365
- Winter 2019: Thursday, January 10 from 1:45P-3:45P in Kaplan Hall 365
- Spring 2019: Thursday, April 11 from 1:45-3:30P in Kaplan Hall 365
For more information please contact Dr. Hagop Kouloujian.
Register For Armenian (Western) Exam
The Arabic placement exam is based on the book “Al-kitaab Fii Taa’llum Alarabiyya”. It includes listening, vocabulary, grammar, reading comprehension, and composition. It is an online exam, however, it takes place on campus. Bring a photo ID to the exam.
- Fall 2018: Wednesday, September 26 from 9:00A-11:00A in Rolfe Hall 2118
- Winter 2019: Friday, January 4 from 11:00A-1:00P in Rolfe Hall 2118
- Spring 2019: Monday, April 1 from 8:00A-10:00A in Rolfe Hall 2118
For more information please contact Dr. Abeer Hamza.
Register For Arabic Exam
The exam is written only and based on the textbook Ha-Yesod (found usually at UCLA Bookstore, textbook for Hebrew). It includes the following:
1. A passage in Hebrew for partial translation to English
2. Comprehension questions in Hebrew on the passage mentioned above
3. Two sections with multiple choice answers on grammar and vocabulary
4. Fill in the blank questions with the correct form and tense of verbs + translating and vocalizing them
5. Fill in the blank questions with the correct preposition (+ in the correct form)
6. Rewriting nouns with suffixes using the Hebrew possessive “of”
7. Fill in the blank questions with the correct numbers using Hebrew words
8. Translation to Hebrew of short sentences
9. A short composition
- Fall 2018: Wednesday, October 3 from 12:15P-1:45P in Kaplan Hall 365
- Winter 2019: Wednesday, January 9 from 11:15A-12:45P in Kaplan Hall 365
- Spring 2019: Wednesday, April 3 from 11:15A-12:45P in Kaplan Hall 365
For more information please contact Dr. Nancy Ezer.
Register For Hebrew Exam
This is a comprehensive exam (2 hours), which includes listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar. It is equivalent to three quarters or two semester of Persian at the elementary level.
- Fall 2018: Wednesday, September 26 from 1:00P-3:00P in Kaplan Hall 367
- Winter 2019: Tuesday, January 8 from 2:00P-4:00P in Kaplan Hall 365
- Spring 2019: Tuesday, April 2 from 2:00P-4:00P in Kaplan Hall 365
For more information please contact Dr. Latifeh Hagigi at (310) 794 9407 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register For Persian Exam
The exam consists of four sections: Speaking, listening, reading comprehension, and writing an essay in Turkish on a given topic.
- Fall 2018: No Turkish Placement Exam
- Winter 2019: Friday, January 11 from 1:00P-3:00P in Kaplan 365
- Spring 2019: Friday, April 5 from 10:00A-12:00P in Kaplan 365
For more information please contact Dr. Beyza Lorenz.
Register For Turkish Exam