Give Back Every donation matters.
PhD, UCLA (1972)
- Near Eastern History
- “Michael the Syrian as a Source for Economic History,” Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies 3, no. 2 (July 2000)
- Near East, II Land Use and Settlement Patterns (Princeton: Darwin Press, 1994), 221-29
- “Commerce in Early Islamic Iraq,” asiem afrika latein amerika, 20 (1993), 699-720
- “The Age of Conversions: A Reassessment,” in M. Gervers and J. Bikhazi, eds., Conversion and Continuity. Indigenous Christian Communities in Islamic Lands, Eighth to Eighteenth centuries (Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies, 1990), 135-50.
- “The Arabisation of the Gulf,” in B.R. Pridham, ed., The Arab Gulf and the Arab World (London: Croom Helm, 1988), 3-28.
- The History of al-Tabari,, Vol. XVIII, Between Civil Wars: The Caliphate of Mu’awiyah (Albany, 1987).
- “Land Use and Settlement Patterns in Late Sasanian and Early Islamic Iraq,” in G.R.O. King and Averil Cameron, The Byzantine and Early Islamic
- “Landholding and Social Change: Lower al-‘Iraq in the Early Islamic Period,” in T. Khalidi, Land Tenure and Social Transformation in the Middle East (Beirut, 1984), 209-22.
- Iraq After the Muslim Conquest (1983).