Give Back Every donation matters.
PhD, University of California, Los Angeles (1980)
MA, University of California, Los Angeles (1969)
BA, Haverford College (1955)
- Turkish Language and Literature; Classical Turkic Languages and Literatures (Ottoman and Chagatay)
- Development of instructional materials for teaching Turkish language and culture
- Development of materials for assessing proficiency in the Turkish language
- Turkish lexicography
- A Dictionary of Turkish Verbs: In Context and By Theme
- Georgetown University Press , 2006
Learn Turkish via a Graphic Novel!
Turkish Grammar Step-by-Step
- Turkish Grammar Step-by-Step
- Under revision.
- UCLA Academic Publishing Service, 1997
- Teach Yourself to Read Turkish
- Decipher the Turkish Linguistic Code
- “The Graphic Novel in the Turkish-as-a-Foreign Language [TFL] Classroom and Beyond: An Experiment in Adapting and Using a Turkish Graphic Novel As a Language Teaching Tool,” American Association of Teachers of Turkic Languages Bulletin 29-30. (Spring and Fall 2003)
- “Teaching Grammar in Context as Part of an Intensive In-Class Study of a Brief Text,” American Association of Teachers of Turkic Languages Newsletter 18 (Fall 1996)
- “Grönbech’s Turkish Structure: A Chapter in the history of comparative Linguistics,” Ural-Altaische Jahrbücher, 57, 59-78. (1985)
- “Recently discovered notes by Eckmann for his ‘Middle Turkic glosses of the Rylands Interlinear Koran Translation’”. Ural-Altaische Jahrbücher, 53. 76-87. (1981)
Honors & Awards
- 2005 Middle East Studies Association Mentoring Award