PhD, Near Eastern Languages and Cultures, UCLA (2014)
Graduate Certificate, TESFL, UCLA (2011)
MA, Near Eastern Languages and Cultures, UCLA (2009)
BA, Anthropology, UCLA (2004)BA, Anthropology, UCLA (2004)
Articles, Essays and Book Chapters
- “Linguistic features of Eastern Armenian heritage speakers.” Article manuscript to be submitted to the Journal of the Society for Armenian Studies in April 2016.
- “Opportunities and challenges of institutionalizing a pluricentric diasporic language: The case of Armenian in Los Angeles” In O. Kagan, M. Carreira, & C. Chick (Eds.), A Handbook on Heritage Language Education: From Innovation to Program Building. New York and London: Routledge. Forthcoming.
- “The evolving role of language in the construction of Armenian identity in the diaspora.” Armenian Identity Through the Ages. Mazda Publishers. Forthcoming.
- “Buzz” by Violet Grigoryan. In T. Boyadjian (Ed.). Anthology of contemporary Armenian literature. Absinthe: Journal of World Literature in Translation. University of Michigan.
- “Խաշաթաղեան թռիչք (Khashatagh flight).” [Review of the book Glendale: Khashatagh, by Khoren Aramouni] Asbarez. http://asbarez.com/arm/155792/, March 2013.
Language Instruction Materials
- “Armenian for heritage students.” Textbook published by Center for World Languages. UCLA. Los Angeles, CA, 2011.
- “Curriculum for high school Armenian heritage course.” Published by the National Heritage Language Resource Center, UCLA. Los Angeles, CA, 2011. http://web.international.ucla.edu/nhlrc/category/learnteach/materials
Honors & Awards
Distinguished Dissertation Award for 2011-2014, Society for Armenian Studies, 2015
Armenian Studies Postdoctoral Scholarship Recipient, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, 2014
Dissertation Year Fellow, UCLA Graduate Division, 2013
Nominated for Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award, UCLA Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures, 2013
Kaspar and Siroon Hovannisian Fellow, UCLA Graduate Division, 2012
Karekin Der Avedisian Memorial Recipient, UCLA Graduate Division, 2011
Mangasar M. Mangasarian Scholar, UCLA Graduate Division, 2010
Karekin Der Avedisian Memorial Recipient, UCLA Graduate Division, 2009
Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellow for Russian, UCLA Center for European and Russian Studies (CEES), 2007
Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellow for Russian, UCLA CEES, 2005
Karekin Der Avedisian Fellow, UCLA Graduate Division, 2004
- Elementary Modern Eastern Armenian (Armenian 104C)
- Language in Diaspora: Armenian as a Heritage Language (Armenian 188)
- Armenian as an Immigrant/Heritage Language in the US (Armenian 188)